Friday, September 19, 2014

Assassin's Creed: Altercation

"When I was very young, I was foolish enough to believe that our Creed would bring an end to all these conflicts. If only I had possessed the humility to say to myself, I have seen enough for one life, I've done my part. Then again, there is no greater glory than fighting to find the truth."
―Altaïr to his son Darim during the Mongol attack on Masyaf, 1257.
The dialogue in Assassin's Creed: The Secret Crusade is some of the best I've ever read(or in my case heard). Chapter twenty-one is by far the most inspiring and revealing dialogue in a novel. The chapter details an encounter with Al Mualim after assassinating Abu'l Nuqoud, the Merchant King of Damas.
"Come, Altair. I would have news of your progress,"
"I've done as you've asked,"
"Good. Good. I sense your thoughts are elsewhere. Speak your mind."
"Each man I'm sent to kill speaks cryptic words to me. Each time I come to you and ask for answers. Each time you give only riddles in exchange. But no more."
"Who are you to say 'no more'?"
"I'm the one who does the killing. If you want it to continue, you'll speak straight with me for once."
"Tread carefully, Altair. I do not like your tone."
"And I do not like your deception."
"I have offered you a chance to restore your lost honor--"
"Not lost, taken. By you. And then you sent me to fetch it again like some damned dog."
"It seems I'll need to find another. A shame. You showed great potential."
" I think if you had another, you'd have sent him long ago. You said the answer to my question would arise when I no longer needed to ask it. So I will not ask. I demand you tell me what binds these men."
With that, Altair got his answer, and his life spared. Altair has evolved over the story; he was arrogant and selfish, now he is wise and will fight for his creed, but not without knowing what he is fighting for, or against.
 
Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Master Assassin and future Mentor of the Assassin's Brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment